Attractions
Below you´ll find a selection of the attractions/sights around Loos but there are of course many more.
gruvan
Photo: Loos Koboltgruva Robin Lundqvist

The basis of Loos as a tourist destination is not only the ground for exploration in geology and botany.
The bedrock is of course extremely interesting for mineral hunters. Nickel was first discovered in Loos
and the calcareous soil enables a wealth of orchids (18 varieties grow wild around Loos).

 

National parks

Barkbergsknopparna
A virgin forest reserve located just south of Noppikoski.

Börningsberget
Located ca 6 km south of Fågelsjö, Orsa Finnmark,
between the villages Sjöändan and Tandsjöborg on the E-45 road.

A nature reserve where forests are impressed, rough and also very old.
There is also an interesting Forestry Museum, which has accumulated various old tools
and built up stations that show how forest work was done in the past.
For example you can see a large timber load of huge logs and a forest hut.
A bit into the woods on the other side of the road are a few more old pine trees with colossal dimensions.


Hamra National park
This is one of the first classic national parks in Sweden.
It was established
in 1910, along with eight other areas:
Abisko, Sarek, Stora Sjöfallet, Pieljekaise, Sonfjället,
Garphyttan, Ängsö och Gotska Sandön.

The main reason for the choice of the Hamra area was that the
Swedish Academy of Sciences found "...the most remarkable growth forest area
 in Sweden..."
link

Koppången
Koppångens Nature Reserve is 15 km long and 4 km wide and is located up on
Orsa municipality highland substantially north of Ämådalen.

It features wide sloping bogs that climbs high into the hillsides.
Height level varies approximately between 450 and 650m,
and they have escaped modern forestry and accommodates
high natural values with many rare and endangered species,
particularly those that require moist forests with long continuity.

 

Lakes, rivers, white waters, fishing
Loos-Hamra fish conservation association manages not less than 5,500 hectares
of
fishing grounds, including the trout-bearing Voxnan as the "showpiece".

Bössfallet, Lusbofallet, Pilstupet
The big rock parties consist of conglomerate overlain by red porphyry,
White water
stretches and rocky areas create favorable conditions for a special
flora
and fauna, where species favored in shady, moist environment thrives.

Hylströmmen
Hylströmmen is the largest free-flowing stretch of rapids south of the mountain range
located in
Voxnan.

The rapids are Ljusnan´s largest tributary, the highest shoreline, about 100 km upstream of the the river's mouth in the lake Varpen.

Hylströmmen is considered impassable by canoe, but several runs are nonetheless
documented on the Internet. This, however, belongs to the category of extreme kayaking.

Klöverhäll
Is a very beautiful waterfall and is considered to be a GEM of  Voxnan.


 

Outings

Brime stone quarry (Ryggskog, Loos)

Ever since the mid, the shale has been mined in the village of Ryggskog, Loos.
Ryggskogsshale is dense and very fine-grained and has particularly good brime stone properties.
It is said that it was a team of lumberjacks in Ryggskog in the 1860s,
that
discovered it´s special features by chance.
One of the workers who had a meal break, found a stone sticking out of
the ground and
tried to polish the ax edge with it,
which was the start of a local industry.

The production first was made by hand in several quarries for the farms in the area.  

   brynsag  brynsag 2  
brynsagen 3  brynsagen 4
 Photos: Christer Wester   

Fågelsjö Gammelgård "Bortom Åa"
UNESCO World heritage!!!

An intact farm from the 1800s, dating back to Finn immigration in1610s.
The collection consists of a single family's possessions until 1910,
when
they locked the door of the old house, now open as a museum.

Murals and other public art, gun forge. Coffee is served during the summer.
Shops, tourist info and bakery. Overnight rooms with 28 beds.
link


Loosgrufvan (Loos cobalt mine)
It was here they mined cobalt color for Sweden's and Europe porcelain factories.
The mines also gave the world a new element when nickel was discovered 1751.
There is a tour of the mine and it starts in the distinctive timber superstructure
with a slide show, continuing underground on walkways and stairs with railings.

To get to the mine, in the middle of Loos along the road 296 towards Kårböle.
Out by the road you´ll see the sign.
link

Loos Hembygdsgård (folk museum)Gammeltomten
On "Gammeltomten" (old plot)
There are old
houses and old things. A "old school" bakery for rent,
and a
weaving workshop.

In the current plot of Gammeltomten there was the home of mining magnate Henric Kalmeter
Of that home is nothing left.

However, it is in this place that Loos Local History Society built their homestead/folk museum with over 10 historical buildings
 and a grand total of 19 buildings
.
Work began in 1937 when the association was formed. The focal point is the "Pellas gården"
(Pellas farm)
, moved from the small village of Karlsberg.
The
second floor of this building is a museum furnished with items from
Stone Age to the present. Everything found in Loos area.
link

 

Pasture dikes

Norrbyvallen (north village dike)
(Source and images : the book " Norrbyn, a village in Loos "
edited by the Group for Norrbyn´s documentation 1992)

Entrance at the shooting range in Loos (opposite Loossjöns (Loos Lake) parking)
then take to the right.

Norrby farmers had originally their pastures on Romberget´s slope.
When the land was reformed it came to belong to the Romberg farms.

Around 1880 - probably 1878 - farmers started to
build new electoral cottages and break ground on the northeastern slope of Dåasberget.
Norrgård dike was used in full the last time in the summer of 1909.

At Håkasvallen they had cows last time probably sometime between
1909 and 1919. Today only Mickels cabin still stands.
It has been altered and repaired several times.
Last repaired by Loos Sports Club, which rents the cottage for 49 years at a time.
It is now used as a resting and overnight hut. Fireplace and two
beds are available. About 5 m west of the lake, there is a fresh water spring.

At Norrbyvallen, one can see the ruins of several buildings and houses.


norrbyvallen
Gunborg Persson och Alma Persson at Norrbyvallen in 1919.
The last of their kind...?

norrbyvallen Loos
Team of lumber jacks at Norrbyvallen ca 1920.
From the left: Valter Persson, Emil Persson, Rolf Nordn, Sigurd Norén, "cook"
Gunborg Persson (Olsson), Harald Persson and Petter Nordström (partly shown).
Copyright © 2013-2017 Loos Byaråd

uk return