History of Finnmarken
Elisabeth Nyman
Akvarell by local artist Elisabeth Nyman Photo/picture processing:Ljusdals Kommun

It is believed that the first Finns arrived in Loos and Orsa Finnmark in the late 1500s.
Standing feuds at home and famine were reasons why the Finns came.
Seven tax-free years was promised and they got their crofts letterhead writtened by the King.
Finns were referred to the remote forest regions.

The terrain and the vegetation was very similar to the regions
the Savo-lax Finns came from and was well suited for shifting cultivation.

It was positive that the areas became inhabited, and by the proximity of Norway / Denmark ie Härjedalen the King hoped that any attack would be detected faster.

The Finns built simple "rökpörten" (kind of cottages without chimney who only had a hole
for the smoke in the roof) and settled in frost-free heights facing south.
They lived on shifting cultivation which gave high yields in the first years.
In the ashes the Finns sowed his rye, a grain
could give 150 hairs all wore ear.

The first Finn arrived at Loos in 1614 and eventually each village had a Finn.
The Finns were hardworking and talented.
They hunted and fished but also engaged in livestock and agriculture.

In Loos and Orsa Finnmark are environments that talks about 400 years
of shifting cultivation and Finn immigration.

More than 500 Finnish names, several Finnish villages and Finn cemeteries
today reminding about the time gone by.

Carl Axel Gottlund called " the Finns Apostle" visited Loos and Orsa Finnmark in 1817 and
wrote a diary (Diary regarding to Travels in Finns-forest in Dalarna, Hälsingland,
Västmanland and Värmland) which first were published in Swedish in 1931.

An excerpt entitled "Genom Los och Hamra Finnbygder" (Through The Los Hamra and Finn settlements)
was published by the Los municipal library in 1970.

A reprint was issued in 2002 by Ljusdal´s municipality and is now available
in several places in the district.

More about this click the link

Visit the the history database here (click on the picture):

Copyright © 2013-2017 Loos Byaråd

uk return